The Big Issue – Size
The sizing of children’s jewellery is really dependant on the size of the child rather than the age as children do vary so much. A small toddler can have chubbier wrists than a beanpole of a young teenager! However, below we hope to offer you some guidance. Please don’t rely on this information totally, it is simply a guide. Please bear in mind the build of the child.
If you can it is a good idea to try to measure the child’s wrist before purchasing. A game with a length of string or ribbon usually does the trick. All children love to be measured to see how big they are getting! As a general rule, for a comfortable fit, you should allow an extra 1-2 cm depending on the overall length. For a total measurement of 5″ or less add 1/2 “.
Bracelet Sizing – A Guideline
Up to 18 months 4.5″ (11.5cm)
Toddler 18mth-36mth old – 5″ (12.5cm)
Junior 3-5yrs old – 5.5″ (14cm)
Child 5-8 yrs – 6″ (15cm)
Older Child 9-12yrs 6.5″ (16.5cm) – 7″ (18cm)
Teen – 7″ (18cm) – 7.5″ (19cm)
Average Adult – 7.5″ – 19cm
Pandora Style Beaded Charm Bracelets
The same applies to bracelets as above but you also need to consider the number of charms that will be put on the bracelet. The more beads placed on the bracelet, the tighter it will become. For the addition of around 5 beads you should allow an additional 2-3 cm. The more beads you add, the more space you will need.
It is always a good idea to purchase a ‘stopper bead’ for a child’s bead bracelet as this stops all the beads sliding off the bracelet when it is undone. You don’t want them to lose all their beads!
Most of the children’s necklaces at Diamond Kids are either 14″ or 16″ in length. To find the correct size for your child measure loosely around the neck to the desired length with a piece of string or ribbon and measure against a ruler. As a guideline we would suggest;
4-12 Years – 14″ – 35.5cm
12 – Teen – 16″ – 41cm
Teen – Adult – 18″ – 45.5cm
A Question of Taste – Style
Choosing the style and design of any jewellery gift is very much down to personal taste but when buying for little ones it all becomes so much easier. If you are finding it difficult to decide just opt for one of our sure fire winners from this list of best selling children’s jewellery pieces;
Best Selling Girl’s Jewellery
- Silver Heart Locket Pendant from D For Diamond
- Girl’s Engraved Diamond Heart Pendant from D For Diamond
- Jo For Girls Birthstone Guardian Angel Pendants
- Kit Heath Kids personalised bead bracelet
- D for Diamond silver and diamond birthstone bangles
Best Selling Boy’s Jewellery
- Tribal Steel Black Leather Bracelet
- AWSM Silver personalised tag necklace
- D for Diamond boy’s Silver Train Bangle
Colours and Designs
- If in doubt about what colour to choose for a little girl, always opt for pink! Sounds cliched but it never fails to delight.
- Look out for hobby and interest related jewellery such as ballet, butterflies, dolphins ….
- If you think a child might struggle with fiddly clasps opt for a pretty stretch bracelet which is much easier to get on and off.
- If you want something to last choose a pendant – you can always swap to a longer chain later on so your gift will grow with the child.
If you have any queries at all please feel free to call us on 01474 854317
We cannot recommend that jewellery be given to children under the age of 3. Many items of jewellery contain small parts and therefore present a choking hazard.
Jewellery should not be worn in play or for sleeping.
Our earrings are not recommended for the initial healing period after piercing.